We left our ranch at 9am and arrived at our campsite at 7pm, a total of 10 hours on the road.
The day was slightly longer than we would have liked and it reached full dark just as we turned off the highway and made our way onto skyline drive. Not ideal - we should have left a couple of hours earlier and not had to find and set up a campsite in an unfamiliar area in the dark. Otherwise a good day, however, if a bit exhausting in terms of hours on the road.
Details (day one)
1. We got on I-90 at the Frenchtown exit, just 15 miles west of Missoula, Montana.
2. Left I-90 for I-15
3. Crossed over the Montana/Idaho border around
4. Stopped for lunch in Idaho Falls.
5. Crossed over the Idaho/Utah border around
6. Approached Salt Lake City
7. Turned off I-15 to
8. Turned off onto Skyline Drive Scenic Byway
9. Stopped for the night, camping on Skyline Drive Scenic Byway